[ovs-dev] Markdown coding standard

Thomas Graf tgraf at noironetworks.com
Thu Feb 12 20:21:35 UTC 2015

On 02/12/15 at 05:37pm, Finucane, Stephen wrote:
> I note that there are no coding standard for Markdown documents. Given this, I have some questions:
>
>   * What's the expected format for code blocks (multi-line and single-line)?

We haven't standardized on anything yet. Is there an exciting good
guidelines doc that we could inherit? Maybe just refer to the github
markdown syntax page?

>   * Can we use GHFM-extensions (i.e. syntax-highlighted code fences)

I think that's fine as long as they are compatible with the markdown
parser invoked in build-aux/dist-docs to generate the docs for the
website.

>   * Line limit? It's not necessary to wrap Markdown if you don't want to, but files seem to alternate between 72, 79 and 80+ quite a bit

I basically did the minimum required to get quotes formatted correctly
and didn't reformat everything. Cleanups are definitely welcome.

>   * Any "expected approach" to validating Markdown output (i.e. confirm that it will preview correctly on GitHub)

Personally I have been using Haroopad when changing the docs to verify
correct rendering.