[ovs-dev] OVN to-do list

Kyle Mestery mestery at mestery.com
Sat Feb 21 02:56:28 UTC 2015

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 8:23 PM, Jesse Gross <jesse at nicira.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 4:36 PM, Ben Pfaff <blp at nicira.com> wrote:

> >> What does ubiquitously available mean in this context? Of the tunnels
> >> we have available (GRE, VXLAN, STT, Geneve), GRE seems a bit of an odd
> >> choice since I think for most sets of constraints you could choose one
> >> that is a better fit. (Even Microsoft is moving away from it for
> >> network virtualization.)
> >
> > I only mean that people have to compile a new kernel module to use
> > STT.
> >
> > What tunnel type do you recommend?
>
> I guess it depends on how important absolute maximum performance is on
> the majority of existing hardware. If we're trying to really push
> things to the limit, then it's hard to beat STT. Personally, I hope
> that given where we are in the evolution of things and that OVN is
> still a little future looking that STT isn't really necessary.
> Possibly an option but not the default.
>
> GRE seems suboptimal to me due to the lack of ECMP support and not
> great hardware support (even if it is present in the chip, it is less
> exposed externally).
>
> VXLAN vs. Geneve are pretty much the same for the basic feature set
> including hardware offload and ECMP. Obviously Geneve gives you more
> space and choice for future extensibility. It's not quite ubiquitous
> yet but the next release of Ubuntu will have kernel support out of the
> box and expanded OVS userspace support should hopefully be fleshed out
> more shortly, so I think all of that is OK for the OVN timeline.
>
> But you already knew what I was going to say, right? :)

One thing to keep in mind, this ties somewhat into my response to Russell
earlier on the decision around ML2 vs. core plugin. If we do ML2, there are
type drivers for VLAN, VXLAN, and GRE tunnels. There is no TypeDriver for
STT tunnels upstream now. It's just an item we need on the TODO list if we
go down the STT tunnel path.

Thanks,
Kyle