[ovs-dev] kernel panic under heavy receive load

Chris Dunlop chris at onthe.net.au
Sat Feb 28 01:49:31 UTC 2015

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 08:30:42PM -0500, Xu (Simon) Chen wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 6:14 PM, Pravin Shelar <pshelar at nicira.com> wrote:
> > So it looks like vhost is generating shared skb. Can you try same test
> > on latest upstream kernel?
>
> I don't know whether it's vhost, as for me the VM receiving high volume
> consistently crashes.
>
> I previously had trouble building OVS datapath module on newer kernels.
> What is the latest kernel that I should try?

According to:

https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs/blob/master/FAQ.md

...v3.14 *is* the latest kernel supported by the out-of-tree OVS
kernel module, given that ovs 2.4.x isn't tagged yet and "git
log v2.3..master" doesn't reveal anything obviously aimed at
providing >v3.14 compatibility.

Can you try with the in-tree OVS module?