[ovs-dev] OVN architecture

Kyle Mestery mestery at mestery.com
Wed Jan 14 16:12:39 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 2:43 PM, Thomas Graf <tgraf at noironetworks.com>
wrote:

> On 01/13/15 at 11:29am, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> > Open Virtual Network (OVN) Proposed Architecture
> >
> > The Open vSwitch team is pleased to announce OVN, a new subproject in
> > development within the Open vSwitch.  The full project announcement is
> > at Network Heresy and reproduced at:
> >
> >         http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/dev/2015-January/050379.html
> >
> > OVN complements the existing capabilities of OVS to add native support
> > for virtual network abstractions, such as virtual L2 and L3 overlays
> > and security groups.  Just like OVS, our design goal is to have a
> > production-quality implementation that can operate at significant
> > scale.  This post outlines the proposed high level architecture for
> > OVN.
>
> I obviously absolutely love this. I will provide my thoughts over
> the next days.
>
> ++, same here.

One question I had at this point: Any thoughts as to the language we'll
choose to write OVN in? I ask because on the OpenStack side, there has been
interest in writing something like OVN in Python, so there may be some
developers we could pickup from there.

Regardless, this is really cool and I'm excited to see this happen!

Kyle