[ovs-dev] OVN architecture

Dave Tucker dave at socketplane.io
Fri Jan 16 13:49:42 UTC 2015

On 15 Jan 2015, at 5:17, Ben Pfaff wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 10:12:39AM -0600, Kyle Mestery wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 2:43 PM, Thomas Graf
>> <tgraf at noironetworks.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I obviously absolutely love this. I will provide my thoughts over
>>> the next days.
>>>
>>> ++, same here.
>>
>> One question I had at this point: Any thoughts as to the language
>> we'll
>> choose to write OVN in? I ask because on the OpenStack side, there
>> has been
>> interest in writing something like OVN in Python, so there may be
>> some
>> developers we could pickup from there.
>>
>> Regardless, this is really cool and I'm excited to see this happen!
>
> On the OpenStack side the plugin will inevitably have to be written in
> Python as I understand it.  I lean toward C for everywhere that it's
> reasonable though, because the developers and the infrastructure we
> already have are very much C-oriented.

Quoting from the blog post:

     "OVN will not require a special build of OVS or OVN-specific
changes to ovs-vswitchd or ovsdb-server...."

Does choosing C prevent us packaging and versioning OVN separately from
OVS?
 From a user perspective, I'd like to "$package_manager install
openvswitch-ovn" and it only rely on the presence of Open vSwitch.
If this *is* possible, will there be a separate release process for OVN
so can release more often than OVS?