[ovs-dev] OVN architecture

Miguel Ángel Ajo majopela at redhat.com
Mon Jan 19 16:56:30 UTC 2015

On Monday, 19 de January de 2015 at 15:32, Dave Tucker wrote:

> On 19 Jan 2015, at 13:04, Thomas Graf wrote:
>
> > Agreed. I would expect that OVN might lead to more frequent releases
> > of OVS with a more "stable at all times attitude" as OVN will depend
> > on
> > specific OVS features.
> >

> This is my concern. For OVN to be useful in the context of OpenStack, we
> should bear in mind which OVS versions are out in the wild.
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=default&section=all&arch=any&keywords=openvswitch-switch&searchon=names
>
> Looking at Ubuntu LTS releases for example - as it's hyped as most
> popular for OpenStack - we have:
> - OVS 1.4 in Ubuntu 12.04 (supported until 2018)
> - OVS 2.01 in Ubuntu 14.04 (supported until 201

As a neutron developer, and a neutron packager in Red Hat, I can tell:

1) OVN could be an optional driver for neutron at the start, being the old good
OVS one available for the 12.04/14.04 gate tests and having specific OVN CI
for the distros providing an updated version of OVS.

And

2) Distributions always have the right to bump their OVS versions if there are no
regressions or incompatibilities and as long as they pass all the D/S tests.

Within the RH context, we sometimes provide bumped (from baseline) versions
with RHOS and RDO as neutron needs.

> > Or we provide feature negotiation aside of versioning.
>

> I'd love to see feature negotiation as backwards compatibility with OVS
> is top of my wishlist for OVN.
> A rudimentary implementation could read the OVS version (if present)
> and/or schema version from OVSDB - we actually did this in OpenDaylight.
>
> I'm biased, but I think the easiest option would be to use the OVS
> Python bindings.
> The requirement on a system is "OVS w/ Python bindings + Python
> installed" and OVN could be installed using pip.

Wasn’t OVN to be developed in C too?