[ovs-dev] OVS and (un)locking mechanism

Tomáš Čejka cejkat at cesnet.cz
Fri Jan 30 06:47:03 UTC 2015

Hello,
I would like to discuss a topic related to locks and locking of OVS
configuration and usability of such locks to prevent clients from data
modification.

As you probably know, NETCONF as well as OF-CONFIG specifies the <lock> and
<unlock> operations. A session can temporarily disable any modification of
device's datastore from other sessions using <lock>.

Unfortunately, it seems to me that OVS supports only some kind of locking
mechanism that does not lock the configuration globally. Is it true or did
I miss something?

I imagine that any suitable solution for us would act as follows:
performing lock operation from the application (such as OF-CONFIG server)
would prevent all other tools to change configuration data until the unlock
operation.
In my opinion, this should be probably supported by OVSDB...

Is there any possibility to perform the described locking in OVS?

Any hint or reference to some document / source code file would be very
helpful.

Thank you for your replies,
Tomas