[ovs-dev] OVN - L3 Design

Gal Sagie gal.sagie at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 13:23:09 UTC 2015

Hello Everyone,

I wanted us to start discussing and describing the changes required for the
NB/SB schema
to support L3 and to hopefully get some visibility into some of the ideas
to actually implement it.

First, i think everyone would love to hear if there are any plans or any
first ideas
regarding the L3 design.

Second, i would like to talk about what currently is available in the
schema and how it differs
from Openstack Neutron.

1. The logical router port has no interface IP, from the description i
understand that the
    'network' is meant to describe the entire subnet range but we still
need an IP that is used
    as the default gateway of the logical switch (or network in terms of
neutron)
    (This IP is configurable in Neutron)

2. Currently there is no IP information for logical ports in the NB schema

These two items are currently limiting, and of course there are other items
when
we start exploring north-south traffic as well (SNAT/DNAT).

It is also important to note that router ports are added in neutron just
like any other port
object (they have an owner indication which configure them to be router
port)
which is slightly different then OVN but i dont see any problem with that.

I would like to start working on all these items from the Neutron side, so
would appreciate any
feedback.
I also think it might help to get the design discussions out in the open so
we can
spot any other missing parts compared to the Neutron API.

Thanks
Gal.