[ovs-dev] [ovn-controller-vtep V3 2/7] ovn-sb: Remove the "Gateway" table from the ovn-sb schema.

Alex Wang alexw at nicira.com
Wed Jul 15 19:59:05 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 12:15 PM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 07/15/2015 03:09 PM, Alex Wang wrote:
> >     Also, what do you think about my proposal for using "type" and
> "options"
> >     fields on logical ports in OVN_Northbound instead of a special port
> >     name?  If we went this route, you don't need "logical_switches" to
> be a
> >     smap, it can just be a list of logical switch names.  Creating a
> >     connection in OVN northbound would be something like:
> >
> >       Logical_Port
> >         name: <anything>
> >         type: vtep
> >            vtep_physical_switch: <...>
> >            vtep_logical_switch: <...>
> >

> > One thing I see missing is that: multiple vtep physical switches
> > (supported by the same vtep db) could connect to the same vtep
> > logical switch...   In that case, logical switch name can no longer
> > uniquely identify a connection of 'a vtep physical switch to a vtep
> > logical switch'...  That's why I use the combination of
> > pswitch_name+lswitch_name.
> >
> > With you suggestion, first, the logical port name in ovn-nb can be
> > duplicated. And if that is allowed, we need to pass the "options"
> > down to ovn-sb Binding table to uniquely binding the vtep lport to
> > vtep chassis.
>
> Yes, I was thinking that this information would have to be added to the
> Binding table in OVN_Southbound as well so that you still have the
> pswitch+lswitch info, just in a little bit more structured way.

I see~, that sounds like more changes than just adding the ovn-controller-
vtep.  I can see this is more organized on OVN-NB.  But at the same time
I still like to have unique logical port name in OVN-SB binding.  Maybe we
could combine both?  With your OVN-NB schema change suggestion,
make ovn-northd create the logical_port name in binding table as
pswitch_name+vtep_logical_switch name to guarantee uniqueness?

Anyway, do not think I know all related parts well enough~  would like to
hear
more comments from you and Ben,

Thanks,
Alex Wang,