[ovs-dev] kernel module testing

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Thu Jul 16 17:55:01 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 07:45:42AM +0000, Pritesh Kothari (pritkoth) wrote:

> > On Jul 13, 2015, at 9:40 PM, Ben Pfaff <blp at nicira.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 12:34:14AM +0000, Pritesh Kothari (pritkoth) wrote:
> >> How about automating this using travis and gerrit, so no commit gets in
> >> unless it passes sanity tests? This also simplifies review process as well.
> >
> > Travis doesn't test the kernel module, and as far as I know it can’t.
>
> weird, i saw one patch few days ago doing it [1], anyways I may be mistaken.

It's fantastic if it does, but I don't think that it does:
        https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-ci/issues/2291

The link that you reference appears to be loading a kernel module inside
a User-Mode Linux instance that it runs in travis.  That's an approach I
hadn't considered; maybe it would work.

> > I am the wrong person to evangelize Gerrit to:
> >        http://benpfaff.org/writings/gerrit.html
>
> This seems to be all about web interface, any chance you happen to use the
> cli for gerrit mainly git review [2] -d [3] or -m [3] or gerritmander [4]? both of
> them are really good utilities and you never have to really leave your
> command line tools to use them.

Thanks for the information.  Whenever I've brought the issues on this
page previously with people who use Gerrit, they've shrugged and said
"Yeah, the UI and email sucks" but no one has ever actually pointed out
specific ways to work around them with the CLI.  The CLIs aren't exactly
promoted: https://www.gerritcodereview.com/ defines Gerrit by saying
"Gerrit provides web based code review and repository management".  Now,
if I have to deal with it, I'll know to go to the CLIs first.