[ovs-dev] kernel module testing

Finucane, Stephen stephen.finucane at intel.com
Tue Jul 28 10:19:18 UTC 2015

> > > For what it's worth, I also think that something like Gerrit would be
> > > useful given the number of platforms that OVS is running on. Right
> > > now, it's seems like we're doing the human-powered version, which is
> > > Guru, Daniele, or Ben complain when something breaks Windows, DPDK,
> > > 32-bit respectively. It also effectively provides the features of
> > > Patchwork in a way that is more maintainable.
> > >
> > > I agree that the Gerrit UI sucks (I haven't tried the OpenStack
> > > interface) and maybe there are alternatives, like Github's set of
> > > tools. But I think the status quo that we have isn't all that great
> > > either and I also would like to avoid having a collection of
> > > independent tools that fall apart over time.
> >
> > I'm happy to encourage people to submit changes via Github, as an
> > experiment.
>
> I think this is a reasonable place to start, especially since we
> already have the infrastructure set up. I think the main thing to try
> out is whether we are OK with this type of workflow for reviewing
> patches as opposed to the mailing list, so at some level it doesn't
> matter where we start.
>
> I don't think that Travis CI is good enough to handle all of the
> pre-checkin tests that we would like to do (kernel, Windows,
> performance, etc.) but it looks like there are other tools that have
> integration with Github that minimally should be the same as what
> Gerrit can do.

I'm obliged to point out the work that's ongoing to get some level of automated testing going in patchwork (for use with DPDK):

	https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/patchwork/2015-July/001363.html

However, I still think Gerrit is the more mature, feature-filled solution if mailing list-based development isn't an absolute necessity. OpenStack really have the Gerrit process nailed.

Someone really needs to fix that web UI though...

Stephen

PS: Third party CI support (a lá OpenStack) would be an incredibly useful feature to offload some level of testing (like performance testing of the DPDK element of OVS). It's probably not an option with GerritHub (I haven't checked), but if you're deciding to go all in on Gerrit or not then this is one for the PROS column.