[ovs-dev] OVS Offload Decision Proposal

David Miller davem at davemloft.net
Thu Mar 5 19:21:57 UTC 2015

I find it funny that we haven't even got a L3 forwarding
implementation fleshed out enough to merge into the tree, and people
are talking about VOIP to VLAN classification, hw bug workarounds, and
shit like that.

Everyone is really jumping the gun on all of this.

Nobody knows what we will need, and I do mean nobody.  Not me, not
switch hardware guys, not people working on the code actively right
now.  Nobody.

The only way to find out is to _do_, in small incremental steps,
rather than big revolutionary changes.

Simplify, consolidate, and optimize later.

Let's get something that works for at least the simplest cases first.
We don't even have that yet.

So if people could drive their attention towards Scott's L3 forwarding
work instead of this flow crap which is too far into the horizon to
even be properly seen yet, I'd _really_ appreciate it.

Thanks.