[ovs-dev] ovn: scope for first iteration

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Fri Mar 27 21:37:30 UTC 2015

We've discussed wanting to have something to demo by the OpenStack
Summit in Vancouver (May 18-22), which I think is a fantastic goal.  I
wanted to clarify the scope of this first target.

So far in the work I've been doing, I've only been looking at the L2
parts (logical switches and logical ports).  What would you all think of
sticking with that for the first iteration?  We can use the DHCP and L3
agents from Neutron for now.

I've done some looking at the L3 parts of the current design, and I
think there's some more needed.  It would be nice to just make L2 work
and come back to it.

I haven't done an exhaustive review, but here are some of the things
that may need some discussion / changes for L3:

1) As discussed once before, DHCP support would be great to have in OVN.
 We can use the DHCP agent in Neutron in the meantime, though.

2) We've got no way to provide floating IP support.  Also related to
floating IP support, I came across this older message on the discuss
list that hasn't been followed up on (I missed it since it wasn't on dev):

http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/discuss/2015-March/016732.html

3) I don't think there's enough information in the ovn-nb schema to let
ovn-nbd figure out how to configure gateways in the ovn db.  Neutron has
an API concept called "provider networks" which seems to map well to
this (defining how to map Neutron networks to existing physical
networks).  However, I don't see a way to get that information down.

4) In the ovn-nb schema, a router has a single IP and I don't see a way
to give it an IP for each logical switch it's connected to.

--
Russell Bryant