[ovs-dev] ovn: scope for first iteration

Justin Pettit jpettit at nicira.com
Fri Mar 27 22:26:09 UTC 2015

> On Mar 27, 2015, at 2:37 PM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> We've discussed wanting to have something to demo by the OpenStack
> Summit in Vancouver (May 18-22), which I think is a fantastic goal.  I
> wanted to clarify the scope of this first target.
>
> So far in the work I've been doing, I've only been looking at the L2
> parts (logical switches and logical ports).  What would you all think of
> sticking with that for the first iteration?  We can use the DHCP and L3
> agents from Neutron for now.
>
> I've done some looking at the L3 parts of the current design, and I
> think there's some more needed.  It would be nice to just make L2 work
> and come back to it.

Yes, we're in complete agreement.  This is what Ben and I had been planning.  Thanks for bringing it up since it hadn't been properly conveyed before.  Our current thinking is that we'll get L2 connectivity working for the demo with a stretch goal of hardware VTEP support.

I haven't had a chance to think through the L3 implications yet, so I don't have much to add to the questions you've raised.  I'll leave those to Ben in case he's given them any thought.

Thanks,

--Justin