[ovs-dev] ovs-style bridge creation from an external application

Karol Mroz kmroz at suse.com
Wed May 20 19:02:03 UTC 2015

Hi,

We'd like to integrate the creation and configuration of OVS-style
bridges into our network configuration application, called Wicked.

We currently have a workaround solution for this, which relies on using
`ovs-vsctl` to create the OVS bridge and add any bridge ports. We then
create the appropriate configuration files (essentially treating the
OVS bridge as a basic ethernet device) and proceed with address/route
configuration. Obviously, this is not ideal.

Is there a way to better interface with OVS to automate the creation of
OVS-style bridges (APIs, dbus, etc)? Any pointers would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Karol