[ovs-dev] Sflow monitoring on tunnel ports sends outter header information instead of inner header

Neil McKee neil.mckee at inmon.com
Fri Nov 6 19:21:14 UTC 2015

The sFlow sampling is enabled on ingress to every bridge port (except for
"patch ports" between bridges).   So the headers you see will depend on
which port the samples came from,  and where the tunnel encapsulation is
being added.

For example,  consider the following OVN setup:

br-ext <-> linux routing <-> br-int <-> vm

Traffic from vm will be sampled as it enters br-int and packet samples will
show inner traffic (annotated with encap/decap action meta-data in separate
structures).
Then after routing it enters br-ext.  Now the packet samples will show
encapsulated traffic.

So this way you get the full picture.  It's just that your sFlow collector
sometimes has to decode deeper into the packet to pull out the inner
addresses etc.

I hope this is clear.

Neil

------