[ovs-dev] OVN: RFC add a new JSON-RPC selective monitoring method

Liran Schour LIRANS at il.ibm.com
Thu Sep 3 12:27:18 UTC 2015

Andy Zhou <azhou at nicira.com> wrote on 01/09/2015 11:15:56 PM:

> From: Andy Zhou <azhou at nicira.com>
> To: Liran Schour/Haifa/IBM at IBMIL
> Cc: Ben Pfaff <blp at nicira.com>, dev <dev at openvswitch.org>
> Date: 01/09/2015 11:16 PM
> Subject: Re: [ovs-dev] OVN: RFC add a new JSON-RPC selective monitoring
method

> >> Third, this may be a good opportunity to fix a design mistake in
> >> "monitor", which is that it sends too much data when a row is
modified:
> >> it sends both the old and new values for columns that have changed,
as
> >> well as the value of every column that did not change.  I thought
that
> >> would be useful when I originally designed it, but it's proven to
just
> >> waste CPU and memory and bandwidth.
> >>

> > I will include a new version of Update Notification that will describe
> > this change.
> >
> I am working on patch series that implements this enhancement. My
> current plan is to send the RFC changes along with the prototyping
> code for review. I am currently making a small change to the original
> monitor message to indicate whether it will accept the new Update
> Notification format.  With the proposal of <monitor-cond-request>,  I
> think it can be implied with the new message, and much cleaner.
>
> The details of the new Update Notification is more involved that I
> would like to prototype before proposing.

I thought to define a new member called "modified" to monitor-select
object to signify that update notification should include only modified
columns with their new value only. Client should set to true only one of
the members "modify", "modified". If both omitted default behavior is
"modify" as it is now. (XOR)

Will it work with your plans?