[ovs-dev] OVN: RFC add a new JSON-RPC selective monitoring method

Liran Schour LIRANS at il.ibm.com
Mon Sep 7 08:39:33 UTC 2015

Andy Zhou <azhou at nicira.com> wrote on 03/09/2015 10:52:42 PM:

> On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 5:27 AM, Liran Schour <LIRANS at il.ibm.com> wrote:
> > Andy Zhou <azhou at nicira.com> wrote on 01/09/2015 11:15:56 PM:
> >
> >> From: Andy Zhou <azhou at nicira.com>
> >> To: Liran Schour/Haifa/IBM at IBMIL
> >> Cc: Ben Pfaff <blp at nicira.com>, dev <dev at openvswitch.org>
> >> Date: 01/09/2015 11:16 PM
> >> Subject: Re: [ovs-dev] OVN: RFC add a new JSON-RPC selective
monitoring
> >> method

> >> I am working on patch series that implements this enhancement. My
> >> current plan is to send the RFC changes along with the prototyping
> >> code for review. I am currently making a small change to the original
> >> monitor message to indicate whether it will accept the new Update
> >> Notification format.  With the proposal of <monitor-cond-request>,  I
> >> think it can be implied with the new message, and much cleaner.
> >>
> >> The details of the new Update Notification is more involved that I
> >> would like to prototype before proposing.
> >>

> > I thought to define a new member called "modified" to monitor-select
object
> > to signify that update notification should include only modified
columns
> > with their new value only. Client should set to true only one of the
members
> > "modify", "modified". If both omitted default behavior is "modify" as
it is
> > now. (XOR)
>
> This is an interesting proposal. But I don't think we need the bit for
> the new monitor message.
>
> The new 'modified' only update notification is likely to be
> significantly different than current Update Notification,
> I think it will make sense to add a new message type, say, Update
> Notification2 (V2).
>
> Coming back to the modified bit proposal, I don't think we need this
> extra bit. The monitor-select should accept
> both current Update Notification and V2, assuming both changes are
> made into the same OVS release.
>
> On the other hand, this bit may be useful to be added to the current
> monitor message if we want to continue
> using it after monitor-select being available for modified only
> updates. I currently don't foresee such
> use case.  Do you?
>
> Make sense?

The idea behind the "modified" bit proposal was to leave the current usage
of the monitor request intact and iteratively change the code only in
places that can make a significant benefit from the new "modified"
behavior.
The Update Notification method can remain as is with a minor change that
defines the behavior under the new "modified" bit. (send only "new" <row>
that includes only selected modified columns).

I will send a new version of the spec.