[ovs-dev] How ovs dpdk tunnel works

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Wed Sep 9 17:56:16 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 4:20 AM, Na Zhu <zhunatuzi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The OVS 2.4 claims it supports DPDK tunneling, I am confused about how it
> support, because native OVS vxlan depends on linux kernel vxlan module, but
> OVS dpdk runs on user space, does OVS 2.4 include a user space vxlan module?

Yes.

> I read the file README-native-tunneling.md, i find a different configure
> from native OVS, it is add route to ovs route table, i did not know ovs has
> route table, can anyone explain what is the relationship between route
> table and tunnel?

Tunnels need to send packets over an IP stack associated with the
endpoint and the IP stack needs a routing table to know where to send
packets. With kernel based tunnels, it is the Linux routing table that
is use but an equivalent is needed when DPDK is used instead. In
general, this can be synced automatically from the kernel table and
nothing needs to be configured by hand.