[ovs-dev] Does ovs-2.4 supports egress traffic shaping ?

Justin Pettit jpettit at nicira.com
Mon Sep 14 18:23:28 UTC 2015

> On Sep 14, 2015, at 12:57 AM, Miguel Angel Ajo <mangelajo at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> Egress from the VM/port point of view, or from the switch point of view?.

I work on the switch, so it's always from its point of view.  :-)

On the original question, there's a big FAQ entry about configuring QoS in the FAQ:

	https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs/blob/master/FAQ.md

> Btw, Justin, I follow up with the question :) , is it possible to use the qos table to do "egress" from the VM/port point of view?, I only managed to do that with the ingress policing [1], is there any way to use queues for switch ingress (port egress), may be combining openflow + enqueue action?

Unless it's changed recently, there's not really a good way to do ingress shaping in Linux.  You can use the IFB device to allow shaping of ingress traffic in Linux, but I think it has negative performance implications and some other limitations.  I'm not aware of anyone using IFB with OVS, though.

--Justin