[ovs-dev] ovs patch interface

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Tue Sep 15 15:10:17 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 04:26:25PM +0800, Na Zhu wrote:
> 1, Is there any difference between ovs  patch interface and kernel veth
> pair?

Yes.  OVS patch ports are implemented entirely inside OVS userspace.
That is, nothing in the kernel represents a patch port.

> 2, Is there any difference between ovs  patch interface and ovs + dpdk
> patch interface? If yes, do the ovs+dpdk optimize the patch interface; if
> no, will the patch interface be ovs performance bottleneck?

If you're talking about the Open vSwitch code base, there's no
difference; the same code implements patch ports in each case.  Patch
ports don't have a performance penalty.

(If you're talking about the OVDK fork of OVS, I don't know.)