[ovs-dev] meters support in datapath

Deepanshu Saxena1/CHN/TCS deepanshu.saxena1 at tcs.com
Fri Apr 1 07:02:05 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I want to implement and contribute B.19.13-Meter action (EXT-379) of OF 1.5.1 to openvswitch

According to FAQ:
"Q: Does Open vSwitch support OpenFlow meters?

A: Since version 2.0, Open vSwitch has OpenFlow protocol support for OpenFlow meters. There is no implementation of meters in the Open vSwitch software switch (neither the kernel-based nor userspace switches)."

As per my understanding, meter support in openvswitch datapath is not present. Could you please specify the reason for the same, as I could see the support of meter in datapath of other software switches such as CPqD Softswitch and ofsoftswitch.

Also since no datapath support is present, so is there any other way to test meters in openvswitch without using hardware switches, as I would be requiring this for development and testing of "(EXT-379) - meter Action"
Thanks & Regards
--
Deepanshu Saxena
Assistant System Engineer,