[ovs-dev] A proposal of ovn-scale-test tool

Ben Pfaff blp at ovn.org
Mon Apr 11 22:57:52 UTC 2016

[dropping some CCs for people I know to be on ovs-dev]

On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 08:45:38PM -0700, Han Zhou wrote:
> As requested by several folks and also mentioned in last week's ovn
> meeting, we would like this repo to be hosted publicly under
> https://github.com/openvswitch/ so that more people in the community can
> contribute and benefit from it. Or it could be a folder under ovs repo,
> e.g. ovn/scale-test. The goal is to be able to enable regular regression
> test for scalability of ovn, so that we are aware of impact introduced by
> changes.

Which possibility do you like better?  As I see it, here are some
advantages and disadvantages of each approach.

Probably, it is easier to quickly evolve the scale-test in a separate
repo, because for something that is quickly evolving OVS (as you know)
has a relatively heavyweight and slow review process.  I don't know
whether this is important.

Probably, it will be easier to keep the scale test in sync with OVS and
OVN if it is in the same repository, because devs will be more likely to
see it as they work on OVN.  I don't know whether this is important
either.