[ovs-dev] ipv6 tunneling support question for branch-2.5

Richukov Kes kesri1234 at rediffmail.com
Fri Apr 15 01:25:13 UTC 2016

Dear Jesse,

Thank you for the kind response. Would you mind advising us on a couple of more things:
1. When can we expect the next ovs release? Will it be in the next couple of months?
2. Would you kindly shed some light on what the actual issues are in branch-2.5? Is there a set of patches that we can try out on top of branch-
2.5 that will enable us make some progress by the time the next official release comes out?
3. What exactly is the dependency on the kernel? Do we need the 4.4 kernel as a whole or just the openvswitch datapath?

We would really appreciate any help from you and from the community on this. I can also volunteer to test any patch series that you unofficially
give us to try out..

Yours Sincerely,
Richukov

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 02:18:44 +0530 Jesse Gross  wrote
>On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 9:26 AM, Richukov Kes  wrote:

> Hi,

> We are researching with IPv6 tunneling support on openvswitch. We can only use a released version of openvswitch (not the experimental

> master branch). We saw that IPv6 tunnel creation fails in branch-2.5, which dates back to a commit and log suggests that there were some
issues

> that could not be debugged before 2.5 release and hence functionality was disabled before release. Can anyone tell us what patches are
needed

> to make IPv6 tunneling work on branch-2.5? If these patches are compatible, can they be ported into branch-2.5 by any chance?

> Also, is there a dependency on the kernel that we should be using? Will Centos 6.6 or Centos 7.1 work?

For all intents and purposes this is a new feature that will only be

available in the next release (what is currently master). Although

there is dormant code in the 2.5 release, there were quite a few

issues that make it unusable. Since the feature was never available as

part of 2.5, these won't be backported to the release branch.

Kernel support is limited to upstream kernels 4.4 and above - IPv6

tunnels are not currently available using the kernel module released

as part of the OVS distribution. This will also be addressed before

the next release.