[ovs-dev] NSH Option 2 implementation

Jesse Gross jesse at kernel.org
Mon Aug 15 17:12:02 UTC 2016

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 1:01 AM, Jan Scheurich
<jan.scheurich at ericsson.com> wrote:
> The only clean way to avoid that now would be to maintain the monolithic push/pop_nsh semantic of the Yi Yang patch and always push/pop NSH header and outer MAC header together. Together with Simon's patch we could still achieve NSH over VXLAN-GPE, if the VXLAN-GPE tunnel is configured as non-Ethernet tunnel, as the unneeded Ethernet header would be popped at transmission to the tunnel.
>
> I believe we to decide whether we want to stick to the Ethernet-only pipeline or start implementing support for packet-type aware pipeline in OVS for the introduction of NSH. Anything in between would be conceptually problematic and not in line with OF 1.5.

I'm still not enthusiastic about having a combined push NSH/Ethernet
action. I don't think that it even really supports the full NSH use
case since at least some of the patches sent are not using VXLAN-GPE
but directly insert the header over Ethernet. I wouldn't want to
introduce an action that would immediately need to be replaced since
we won't be able to change any of the public interface semantics once
this goes in.