[ovs-dev] please help review patch "allow DHCPv6 respond multiple IA Address Options"

Numan Siddique nusiddiq at redhat.com
Tue Aug 30 12:28:23 UTC 2016

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 9:40 AM, Ben Pfaff <blp at ovn.org> wrote:

> The patch will get reviewed, there's no need to ask again.
>
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 11:09:23AM +0800, Zong Kai Li wrote:
> > Hi, Numan and Justin.
> > I wish you can help review patch "allow DHCPv6 respond multiple IA
> > Address Options".
> > http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/663493/
> >
> > For current DHCPv6 implementation, it will respond one IPv6 address
> > for a lswitch port in a DHCPv6 Reply message. The "one IPv6 address",
> > I mean, one in the same address string, like "MAC IPv4-Address
> > IPv6-Address-1 IPv6-Address-2 ...".
> >
> > I don't think it's a good solution, since we can set multiple IA
> > Address Options in a DHCPv6 Reply message, and by that, we can support
> > multiple IPv6 addresses in the same address string for VIF port to
> > configure. It will give us a lflow with action=(reg0[3] =
> > put_dhcpv6_opts(ia_addr = OFFER_IP1, ia_addr = OFFER_IP2, ... ,
> > server_id = MAC, OTHER_OPTS...); next;). This can work.
> >
> > In the patch mentioned above, I kept the CIDR checking, to make sure
> > at least one IPv6 address owned by lswitch port can reach DNS server
> > list in put_dhcpv6_opts action.

​I haven't reviewed the patch. But I have few comments.
A logical port can have multiple IPv6 addresses, out of which some can be
from a stateless subnet and some from stateful subnet. This doesn't handle
it right ? Correct me if I am wrong here.

May be CMS can store the multiple IA_ADDR options in the
DHCP_Options.options so that ovn-northd doesn't need to bother about it.

Thanks
Numan

​