[ovs-dev] [patch_v10] ovn: Add datapaths of interest filtering.

Liran Schour LIRANS at il.ibm.com
Mon Dec 5 11:10:57 UTC 2016

Darrell Ball <dlu998 at gmail.com> wrote on 05/12/2016 02:13:44 AM:

> This patch adds datapaths of interest support where only datapaths of
> local interest are monitored by the ovn-controller ovsdb client.  The
> idea is to do a flood fill in ovn-controller of datapath associations
> calculated by northd. A new column is added to the SB database
> datapath_binding table - related_datapaths to facilitate this so all
> datapaths associations are known quickly in ovn-controller.  This
> allows monitoring to adapt quickly with a single new monitor setting
> for all datapaths of interest locally.
>
> We monitor both logical flows and logical ports. The mac bindings
> will likely go away and multicast groups are relatively few.
> To reduce risk and overall latency we only suppress logical flows as
> a starting point. Logical ports are not suppressed as a starting
> point and but then are monitor suppressed as appropriate from that
> point on. The initial suppression has little practical gain and not
> doing it allows for us to be flexible in terms of how different port
> types are supported.

I checked this patch against the original patch that conditionally monitor
all 4 tables (Port_Binding, Logical_Flow, Multicast_Group, MAC_Binding
tables). And found that this V10 patch outperform the original patch by
85% on my environment. (V10: 2,645,656,251,389 cycles, origin patch:
1,431,070,248,059 cycles).
Otherwise it looks like things are moving at the right direction.

- Liran