[ovs-dev] Open vSwitch 2.7 release dates and process

Ben Pfaff blp at ovn.org
Fri Dec 9 16:40:06 UTC 2016

Documentation/release-process.rst generally lays out the following dates
for the Open vSwitch 2.7 release (adjusted slightly for better alignment
to workweeks):

    Jan.  2, 2017: Fork branch-2.7 from master.
    Feb. 17, 2017: Release branch-2.7 as version 2.7.0.

However, after our positive experience with it last cycle, I suggest
instead:

    Jan.  2, 2017: Begin feature freeze on master--bug fixes only.
    Jan. 16, 2017: Fork branch-2.7 from master; end master feature freeze.
    Feb. 17, 2017: Release branch-2.7 as version 2.7.0.

As a reminder, our policy is that, only bug fixes should be applied to
release branches (or in this case, to master during the freeze), except
for any features discussed in advance on ovs-dev.  If you're working on
a feature that you think may arrive around Jan. 1, please bring it up
for discussion now.

Please read Documentation/release-process.rst for more information about
the Open vSwitch release process and schedule.

Many thanks to all Open vSwitch contributors!

Ben