[ovs-dev] [RFC: fedora ovn packaging 0/5] RFC fedora ovn packaging

Andy Zhou azhou at ovn.org
Mon Dec 19 20:55:53 UTC 2016

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 6:19 PM, Russell Bryant <russell at ovn.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 8:35 AM, Andy Zhou <azhou at ovn.org> wrote:
>
>> The goal of this series is to make it easier to set up OVN in
>> a larger setup, i.e. not having all services running on a single host.
>>
>> Currently ovn-central package starts and stop all three services
>> northbound-db, northd and southbound-db on the same host. While it
>> is convenient for a single host setup, it is hard to test scale
>> and HA, where OVN services may have to be installed on different hosts.
>>

> The package itself doesn't start or stop anything, right?

Thanks for the comments. Yes, those are separate issues.

> The systemd config does start/stop all 3 together, but that seems like the
> common case unless you're running in an HA setup.  If you're running in an
> HA setup using Pacemaker, you wouldn't be using systemd.

In the case we'd like install northd on a dedicated server, It seems odd
that I have to install the database servers on the same server.  One
possible HA set up is to run OVSDB servers with HA, and have northd running
on a dedicated server accessing ovsdb-servers via a floating IP.  In this
case, It seems natural to have a unit file that start / stop northd only.
Also it would seem odd if we require OVNSB and OVNNB to run on the same
host.

> It does mean you might have ovn-northd installed where it's not running,
> but at least in my (OpenStack) case, I want it that way.  ovn-northd will
> be running on one host, but we'll have Pacemaker configured to ensure it's
> running on any of 3 hosts, for example.

Separate them into three packages should not prevent this use case.  If
extra checks are required when running HA, may be they can be added into
the ocf scripts?

>> This patch series splits the ovn-central package into three packages
>> ovn-northbound-database, ovn-southbound-database and ovn-northd.
>> Also, Each one provides the corresponding systemd services.
>>
>> Another drawback of current packaging is that ovsdb-server is part
>> of vswitchd package. If one wants to run ovn-northbound-database,
>> he needs to install and start vswitchd service as well. This is
>> unnecessary and may lead to confusions. This patch series separate
>> ovsdb-server into its own package.
>>

> Why do you need to start and install vswitchd to use ovsdb-server?  It is
> indeed an install requirement at least.
>
> Before the patch, ovn-northd.service requires openvswitchd.service.  In
case we want to dedicate a host to run OVNSB only,
it would be nice to make vswitchd optional.

> I suppose splitting out ovsdb-server seems OK, as long as we don't see
> upgrade issues due to the package changes.  This hasn't come up for me with
> our OpenStack work because we're always using OVS on the hosts anyway.

Agreed.