[ovs-dev] How to implement vendor extensions in OVS

Ben Pfaff blp at ovn.org
Tue Feb 2 18:08:53 UTC 2016

On Tue, Feb 02, 2016 at 05:10:44PM +0530, Ajmer Singh wrote:
> I have added vendor extension in ONOS and now next target is to add the
> same vendor extension for OVS (OpenVswitch-2.4). I have not much idea about
> OVS and the code is very big ;) that's why difficult to understand or
> figure out how we can add vendor extension in OVS. Can you please guide me
> how to add vendor extension?
>
> also please share any relevant documents.

The FAQ says:

### Q: How do I implement a new OpenFlow message?

A: Add your new message to "enum ofpraw" and "enum ofptype" in
   lib/ofp-msgs.h, following the existing pattern.  Then recompile and
   fix all of the new warnings, implementing new functionality for the
   new message as needed.  (If you configure with --enable-Werror, as
   described in [INSTALL.md], then it is impossible to miss any warnings.)

   If you need to add an OpenFlow vendor extension message for a
   vendor that doesn't yet have any extension messages, then you will
   also need to edit build-aux/extract-ofp-msgs.