[ovs-dev] [RFC] ovn-controller: Only process lflows for local datapaths

Ryan Moats rmoats at us.ibm.com
Tue Feb 2 20:21:18 UTC 2016

I sat down with this patch series and ran a case of stamping out 800
of the following patterns (each in its own openstack project) to see how
this patch set improves things within lflow_run:

n1 -- r1 -- x1

n1 is an openstack network with a dhcp subnet
r1 is an openstack router
x1 is an openstack provider network.

The result is 800 networks with 2 ports each and one network with 800 ports
on it.

At the end of creating 800 of these patterns, this patch series results in
a 2% improvement in the number of flows processed, a 10% improvement in the
number of matches processed, and about a 16% improvement in the execution
time of lflow_run.

While this is a good first step and I'm in favor of merging this set, these
patches can only be viewed as a short term fix as the number of processed
flows and matches still grow supra-linearly as scale increases.  This tells
me that we still need some sort of incremental processing in this routine.

Ryan
IRC Handle: regXboi