[ovs-dev] Query regarding the implementation of Packet Type aware pipeline [EXT-112]

Jean Tourrilhes jt at labs.hpe.com
Fri Feb 26 17:05:41 UTC 2016

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 02:50:37PM +0530, niti Rohilla wrote:
> Thanks for the information Lori.
>
> Hi Jean,
>
> I am planning to implement and contribute the "Packet Type aware pipeline
> [EXT-112]" to OpenVSwitch.

	That's great ! I can only encourage you !

> I got to know that you have already started working on EXT-112 support. I
> got your reference from Lori.

	Yes, it's at :
		https://github.com/jean2/openvswitch/commits/jean/ext-112

> Can I use your series of patches posted on github as a base to start
> working on EXT-112. Please provide me your feedback or anything that I
> should add to code from your point of view. If you have any objection then
> please let me know.

	Definitely, please do so.
	I already have code in OVS, so the copyright, licensing and
other bits are OK. All my commits are "signed-off". But please don't
strip the signed-off part so that people can still refer to me in case
of problems.
	The most difficult part will be to update the path to the
latest version of OVS. The git rebase is going to be painful but
necessary.
	My current set of patches depend on EXT-427. EXT-427 would be
very interesting to push in quickly, especially that Ben is looking at
similar code. And there are interesting use case related to it, such
as setting tunnel information in packet out.
	The packet type thing was supposed to be used for LISP tunnels
and other non-Ethernet use case. I did not track those other projects
and did not work on the integration with those work. That is something
you may have to consider, as Ben may ask you about it.

> Thanks
> Niti Rohilla

	Thanks a lot for your work !

	Jean