[ovs-dev] Stateful Conntrack & NAT Requirements

Arvinderpal Wander awander at apcera.com
Fri Jul 8 20:46:38 UTC 2016

Hi guys,

I wanted to get started with the new CT and NAT functionality. I followed
the following discussion that was posted earlier:

http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/dev/2016-May/070576.html

I had a couple of questions:
1. Is it possible to use this new functionality w/o a complete upgrade to
4.6. That is, I don't want to do a full kernel upgrade but just update the
OVS userspace+km to the latest and any thing else that needs updating. I
gave this a quick try with just userspace+km from the latest master, but
got errors when adding ct/nat rules (i.e. OFPBMC_BAD_MASK
and OFPBAC_BAD_TYPE). So, I suspect just userspace+km updates are not
sufficient. What else is needed?

2. I realize that changes will be backported to earlier kernels. How far
back will these changes go? I suspect it may be even longer before distros
incorporate these changes.

BTW, I really appreciate these new features. They are awesome!

Thank you,
-Arvinder