[ovs-dev] FW: OpenVSwitch Ext 112 Git Repository

Jean Tourrilhes jt at labs.hpe.com
Fri Jun 3 23:41:03 UTC 2016

Vasundhara G wrote:

> Well, I was thinking about the big picture behind this
> implementation, have searched a lot on internet but could not sum up
> my findings.

	My implementation was just testing the OpenFlow feature
EXT-112 is correct, nothing more, nothing less. It just tests that you
can pass a native IP packet via packet-in -> match -> packet-out.

> Is it about MPLS or fast routing or something else? I am not clear.
> Please share your views.

	It's about every time you are not dealing with Ethernet
packets.
	First, there are many encpasulations that only carry L3 in the
encapsulation, such as IP in IP, GRE, LISP and so on. Once you remove
the tunnel, you are left with an IP packet, not an Ethernet packet, so
you need a way to deal with that.
	Futher, there are other link technologies that are not
Ethernet, such as 802.11 and 802.15. You need a way to deal with those
packet types.

> Regards,
> Vasundhara

	Regards,