[ovs-dev] ovs meters implementation

Vladimir Shebordaev vshebordaev at mail.ru
Wed Jun 8 03:58:33 UTC 2016

> On Wed, Jun 08, 2016 at 06:10:50AM +0300, Vladimir Shebordaev wrote:
> > I would like to work on OF meter implementation. It is said to be
> > missing from both userspace and kernel datapaths, though it is
> > implemented in the protocol. It is also said that attempts were made
> >  to implement it and the patches have been declined for various
> > reasons but they are still su
> ​g​
> gested as a starting point.
> >
> > Well, as far as I could find it on the list, a few years ago there was
> > a patch series that proposed an implementation in userspace but it was
> > dropped almost without a comment.
>
> I agree that it would be nice to support meters.
>
> The last posted implmentation was in December 2015.  I provided a review:
>         http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/dev/2015-December/063724.html
> I believe that if the problems I cited were fixed, this would be
> suitable for inclusion in OVS.

​OK, thank you, it is axactly the pat​ch series I was talking about but I
missed your comments. I should study those patches in detail before I can
continue on.

> Are there any design documents around? I would like to made consistent
> > implemention both it kernel and userspace datapaths, so there is
> > something to discuss, I guess.
>
> What kind of design information are you looking for?

Basically, I mean I would like to also implement the meters in kernel
datapath, so it would be nice to have consistent implementations. Sure, if
it is possible.