[ovs-dev] [dpdk-ovs] Memory allocation error while trying to add a dpdk mode port to ovs bridge

Wang, Alex alex.wang at intel.com
Mon Jun 20 02:51:49 UTC 2016

Hi There,

I downloaded the master branch from github and tried to setup OVS with DPDK mode under Ubuntu16.04 kernel_4.4.0-21-generic. However I encountered below error while I was trying to add a dpdk port to the OVS bridge.

Error messages:
root at unassigned-hostname:/opt/APP/utility/dpdk-16.04/tools# ovs-vsctl add-br br0 -- set bridge br0 datapath_type=netdev
root at unassigned-hostname:/opt/APP/utility/dpdk-16.04/tools# ovs-vsctl add-port br0 dpdk0 -- set Interface dpdk0 type=dpdk
ovs-vsctl: Error detected while setting up 'dpdk0'.  See ovs-vswitchd log for detail
root at unassigned-hostname:/home/pid# ovs-vsctl show
f8269232-4bf8-455b-9b34-e9c646905782
    Bridge "br0"
        Port "dpdk0"
            Interface "dpdk0"
                type: dpdk
                error: "could not open network device dpdk0 (Cannot allocate memory)"
        Port "br0"
            Interface "br0"
                type: internal

I followed the INSTALL.DPDK.md<https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs/blob/master/INSTALL.DPDK.md> but this error was consistently hit on Ubuntu16.04. Previously we tried OVS on Ubuntu14.04 but it looked fine without this failure. Did you see any similar error on your side or any comments about the failure?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best Regards,
Alex