[ovs-dev] [ovs-discuss] Request for comments on Open vSwitch joining the Linux Foundation

Jesse Gross jesse at kernel.org
Mon Jun 27 20:30:03 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 1:03 PM, Flavio Leitner <fbl at sysclose.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 12:35:34PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 09:36:47AM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>> > LF expects OVS to be a rather small budgetary burden, due to the
>> > project's simple structure.  The TSC will coordinate with LF for any
>> > budgetary needs.
>
> Moving to Linux Foundation seems to be a step in a good direction and
> the attached document looks good enough that the community is pretty
> much unaffected by the change.
>
> You mentioned OVS is expected to have small budgetary burden but we
> usually had a conference once in a year that has a significant cost.
> Has this been considered? Any expected changes for this year?

My understanding is the conference is something that the Linux
Foundation is willing to cover (and organize as well). Regardless, the
plans for this year are unchanged and essentially the same as last
year.

> You also mentioned that VMware is on board, so I assume that we have
> at least one official sponsor signing in?
>
> I suspect some companies out there would be willing to support OVS,
> but it's not clear what will be required to signing in and/or the
> advantages to do so.

I think it would ultimately be up to the Linux Foundation to decide
how to handle this. Obviously, anything along these lines would not
conflict with the structure set out by the proposed charter.