[ovs-dev] weekly OVN report

Russell Bryant russell at ovn.org
Fri Mar 4 17:39:54 UTC 2016

There's a lot of work happening to improve ovsdb performance (both on the
client and server sides).  There's testing happening in multiple
environments (physical and simulated) in the hundreds-of-hypervisors
range.  Interestingly, most of the bottlenecks we're exposing are on the
client side.

We have some docs about the current HA story with OpenStack here:

http://docs.openstack.org/developer/networking-ovn/faq.html

Ben has mentioned that he might pick up the distributed ovsdb-server work,
which is important to get a much better HA story (or I suspect we'll have
to replace ovsdb).  I'll let him comment further on intentions and status,
though.

On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 10:14 AM, Dan Mihai Dumitriu <dmd17 at cornell.edu>
wrote:

> Hi Ben,
>
> What's the current thinking around the OVSDB HA and scale solution?
> Needless to say, the single SB DB to which all ovn-controllers connect
> could be a liability in various production scenarios.
>
> Cheers,
> Dan
> On Mar 4, 2016 00:48, "Ben Pfaff" <blp at ovn.org> wrote:
>
> > Here's my OVN report for the week, since I'll be in a meeting during the
> > IRC session today.
> >
> > The "continuation" feature needed as a basis for others is in.  Justin
> > is reviewing the ARP support patches.
> >
> > I've spent most of the week in meetings, so there's been minimal
> > progress.  I'm currently working on some debugging support patches.
> > After that, I'm going to work on OVSDB.  I'm also interested in
> > improving ovn-controller performance.

Russell Bryant