[ovs-dev] weekly OVN report

Amitabha Biswas azbiswas at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 08:15:06 UTC 2016

I see a couple of distinct discussions occurring on this thread, maybe it’s time to deal with them independently.

The Security/ACL aspect of the protocol - Is there some reason why existing SSL authentication and encryption mechanisms is not adequate enough for security. I am not opposed to building logic into the protocol that “restricts” access to tables, but does that solve the security aspect of the problem completely?
Whether to move the SB DB to an Open Source database that support monitoring and notification of changes - Here the question is which one? We have seen RabbitMQ (used as a notification mechanism) having trouble keeping up with NOVA and Neutron (in non-OVN use case) for OpenStack once the number of compute nodes exceed the number 1000  - there is a debate about whether it’s the consumers using RabbitMQ correctly that is causing this. I only bring up RabbitMQ as it’s a pub/sub scheme I am familiar with. From my point of view, the choice of the notification mechanism matters more than the distributed DB that is used.
--
Amitabha