[ovs-dev] RFC: OVN database options

Han Zhou zhouhan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 01:15:22 UTC 2016

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 11:11 PM, Ben Pfaff <blp at ovn.org> wrote:

> Beyond supporting this usage model, the basic requirements for the OVN
> use case are:
>
>     - Size: 20 MB to 100 MB of data (estimated database size to hold
>       data for our target scale of 1,000 hypervisors and 20,000
>       logical ports).
>
>     - Scale: The northbound database has only a single-digit number of
>       clients.  Each hypervisor is a client to the southbound
>       database, so about 1,000 clients for our target scale of 1,000
>       hypervisors.

Ben, is there any reason we limit the scale to 1,000 hypervisors? OVN seems
have much more potential than that based on current tests, even with ovsdb.
As for ports, considering container use cases, there can be more than
20,000 even for 1,000 hypervisors.

>     - OVSDB.  If we choose to use OVSDB, we'll have to add
>       high-availability support.  Also, the table doesn't mention
>       scaling, since it's hard to compare objectively, but the OVSDB
>       server currently doesn't scale well to the 1000 clients required
>       for the southbound database, although Andy has started working
>       on that.

That's not true :). With probe disabled, in our scale testing OVSDB server
is not yet the bottleneck with 1000 clients connected to southbound DB.

--
Best regards,
Han