[ovs-dev] RFC: OVN database options

Julien Danjou jdanjou at redhat.com
Fri Mar 11 11:15:00 UTC 2016

On Thu, Mar 10 2016, Russell Bryant wrote:

> Specific to the OVN+OpenStack use case, I imagine a frequent question would
> be, "why do I have to use MariaDB+Galera AND PostgreSQL in the same
> environment?!"  I suppose OpenStack works with PostgreSQL, too, and it's
> just a deployment choice that most people seem to be using MariaDB+Galera.

OpenStack (supposedly) works with PostgreSQL. Galera is picked for most
deployment because it's an HA layer on top of MariaDB that is much
easier to deploy than PostgreSQL solution is.

Other than that, in term of RDBMS/SQL features, PostgreSQL is generally
on top of MySQL.

FTR, Gnocchi¹ is one of the OpenStack project pushing PostgreSQL as
recommended over MySQL, so it can leverage features such as precise
timestamps or time range computing which MySQL was/is unable to do (I
know, it sounds ridiculous). We actually wish we could use even more
PostgreSQL features and drop MySQL, but that'd be a bit harsh.

A great thing for OpenStack would be to capitalize on the work that OVN
could do if it'd pick the path of PostgreSQL in HA mode.

And sorry for getting a little bit off-topic here, :-)

Cheers,

¹  http://gnocchi.xyz/configuration.html

--
Julien Danjou