[ovs-dev] RFC: OVN database options

Ivan Kelly ivan at midokura.com
Fri Mar 11 16:49:07 UTC 2016

>> Well, if you do the log tailing thing I suggested, then the client
>> will have access to a consistent snapshot, since they would only read
>> from the database directly once, and all client updates after that
>> would come from the log which arrive in a well defined order.
>
> OK.
>
> I'm concerned about the log tailing solution, because it seems likely to
> me that each hypervisor would have to examine every transaction, not
> just those related to the logical switches that they're interested in.
> This could become a scale issue.
As I have it in my head, the hypervisors wouldn't access the log
directly, but there'd a facade process which handles it. This facade
could easily do filtering to avoid having the whole log go to all
clients. TBH, I don't fully understand the semantics of ovsdb yet, and
it's interaction with OVN, so I'm not 100% that this approach would
work. It's something I plan to study next week though.

-Ivan