[ovs-dev] Seek information about OVN L3 gateway and NAT

Guru Shetty guru at ovn.org
Wed May 18 16:10:34 UTC 2016

> There was an in-person meeting yesterday at VMware with Mickey (from
> that thread) and some other IBMers.  I couldn't attend the whole meeting
> but I assume that some conclusions were reached.  I guess that we'll
> know more soon.

The conclusion of the meeting was that we will go ahead with the "gateway
router" approach for conntrack based NAT and will be used by anyone that
need L3 and L4 based NAT. For the OpenStack case of floating ips (which
does not need L4 ports to be  NATed), the idea is to not use conntrack as
much as possible and also to not use the additional gateway router. We
think, there is a workable solution for north-south and south-north cases.
The guys at IBM will work on the east-west case to see how they could
potentially leverage conntrack for that particular use case.