[ovs-dev] [OVN] CNI plugin and Kubernetes integration

Salvatore Orlando salv.orlando at gmail.com
Thu May 19 10:57:52 UTC 2016

[Accidentally sent message before completing, resuming here]

Hello,

I have been working for a while on integration with kubernetes with a CNI
plugin for OVN.
The work in [1] is forked by Guru's repository by the same name [2].

Most consumers of the CNI interface have an expectation that when returning
from the plugin the container interface is fully configured and ready to
send/receive data.
For the OVN case this means that when returning from the CNI both VIF
plugging and logical configuration (lport and ACLs) must be completed.

However, in the current implementation logical port management was moved
out of the plugin [3] in order to avoid calling into the OVN NB Database.
This means that in order to fulfil the "network ready" expectation there's
a need for adding a synchronisation point in the CNI plugin (ie: a blocking
call waiting for a "ready" event).

At this stage I am wondering whether it might be actually better to revert
to the previous state - where logical port creation was performed in the
plugin [4].
I am wondering whether it might be fair to expect ovn-northd to be
accessible from the control plane. What is your opinion?

Should that be the way to go, the CNI plugin should also take care of
implementing ACLs before returning (not just applying a drop-all rule as it
does now [5]) - because otherwise networking configuration would not be
complete (especially with a drop-all rule!).

Salvatore

[1] https://github.com/salv-orlando/ovn-kubernetes
[2] https://github.com/shettyg/ovn-kubernetes
[3]