[ovs-dev] OVS-Hyper-V-Discovery-Agent Design Document

Alin Serdean aserdean at cloudbasesolutions.com
Mon Nov 28 19:18:53 UTC 2016

Hi Yin,

Thanks a lot for the patch and the document!

There are a few concerns that I have with this implementation:
- the need for a new daemon,
- use of cmd calls to add/delete ports,
- addition of .NET to compile the binaries.

As previously discussed in the meetings, we could just use 'ovs-vswitchd' with an argument i.e. '--integration_bridge=<bridge>' to add the ports. We see the port creations in the kernel and we could issue an event to the userspace to add ports under that bridge. We could add a new type of 'action' or try to reuse the events that are already present in the implementation.
Another advantage to use ovs-vswitchd is that we could talk directly to ovsdb. Also, no additional dependency needed.

We could add the argument '--integration_bridge=<bridge>' when creating the service via the installer with a nice text to inform the user about what it does. Changing the service properties is normal activity for a system administrator, so he could easily remove it afterwards.

Thanks,
Alin.