[ovs-dev] Documentation for DPDK-ivshmem library

Mauricio Vasquez mauricio.vasquez at polito.it
Tue Oct 18 22:03:12 UTC 2016

Hello abhishekb,

I am not sure if you refer to ivshmem with OvS or just ivshmem, if the
case is the latter it would have been more appropriated to write on the
DPDK mailing list.

First of all it is worthy to mention that the ivshmem library has been
removed in versions > 16.07 (16.07 is the last DPDK version with ivshmem
support), so you will have to use that version.

I'll put some pointer to ivshmem documentation.

In [1] you have a general overview of the library.
[2] contains the documentation of the library that allows you to expose
to the guest different DPDK data structures.
[3] is the guest side implementation, this code recognizes a ivshmem
device and maps all the structures exposed in it to the guest application
[4] is a use case, basically this application exposes the OvS mempool
and the dpdkr ports to a guest as described in [5]

[1] http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/prog_guide/ivshmem_lib.html
[2] http://dpdk.org/doc/api/rte__ivshmem_8h.html
[3] dpdk/lib/librte_eal/linuxapp/eal/eal_ivshmem.c
[4]
https://github.com/netgroup-polito/un-orchestrator/blob/master/orchestrator/compute_controller/plugins/kvm-libvirt/cmdline_generator/cmdline_generator.c
[5]https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs/blob/master/INSTALL.DPDK-ADVANCED.md#52-phy-vm-phy-ivshmem

If you have any other questions don't hesitate in writing them here,

Mauricio Vasquez.