[ovs-dev] Ovenvswitch with 802.3ax (Multi-Chassis Link Aggregation Protocol)

Thierno Barry thierno.barry at polyconseil.fr
Wed Oct 19 13:34:02 UTC 2016

Hello,

I don’t know where I can ask my question, so I did it here.

In our infrastructure we would like to build VXLAN tunnel between our datacenters and we use Openvswitch for that. The main issue we are now facing is the High Availability.

We’ve already try a solution with keepalived to do active-backup redundancy between our couple of OVS, but we ran sometimes into some L2 loops or package duplication due to keepalive lack of « fastness » for network applications like switching or routing.

Is someone has already faced this kind of need? If yes, how did you solve it?

So I was wonder if OVS support MLAG like protocols? If not, someone could directe me to where I can started if I wanted to go into some dev to implement MLAG into OVS?

After googling for a while I found the Open-Ethernet's MLAG <https://github.com/open-ethernet/mlag> implementation. Is this can be a starting point?

PS: I’ve already created this issue <https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs-issues/issues/115> on github.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Regards,