[ovs-dev] Request to work on the Extensions - EXT-320 / EXT-46 : OF Version 1.5 ref.

Jarno Rajahalme jarno at ovn.org
Wed Oct 26 23:46:38 UTC 2016

> On Oct 26, 2016, at 12:08 AM, Pratyushaw P/HYD/TCS <pratyushaw.p at tcs.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> It's a pleasure to contribute to the to the OF version 1.5 Extensions for the upcoming releases.
>
> We have planned and picked up few of the below Extensions from the OpenFlow 1.5 Specification listed:
>
> B.18.5 Copy-Field action to copy between two OXM fields
> B.18.9 Allow set-field action to set metadata field
>
> Let me know if there are any development happening for the above listed Extensions so that duplication can be avoided.

Both of these should already be supported. Any Nicira extension “move” action is encoded to an OpenFlow15 copy_field action on the wire for OpenFlow versions 1.5 and higher. The textual form you see with ovs-ofctl is still “move” for all versions. If you look at the test case “OpenFlow 1.5 action translation” in tests/ofp-actions.at <http://ofp-actions.at/>, you’ll see that this is the case, if you decipher the OpenFlow encoding there.

Also, I believe we never restricted set-field action to not be able to set the metadata field. OVS allows set-field to set any writeable match field. You’ll find numerous examples of set_field to the metadata field from the OVS test suite.

 Jarno