[ovs-dev] DPDK Merge Repo

Stokes, Ian ian.stokes at intel.com
Wed Aug 2 14:14:33 UTC 2017

> Hi Darrell and Ben.
>
> > Hi All
> >
> > As mentioned before, I am using a repo for DPDK patch merging.
> > The repo is here:
> > https://github.com/darball/ovs/
> >
> > There are still some outstanding patches from Bhanu that have not
> completed review yet:
> >
> > util: Add PADDED_MEMBERS_CACHELINE_MARKER macro to mark cachelines.-
> > Bhanu
> > packets: Reorganize the pkt_metadata structure. - Bhanu
> >
> > and a series we would like to get into 2.8
> >
> > netdev-dpdk: Use intermediate queue during packet transmission.  Bhanu
> > Jun 29/V3
> > netdev: Add netdev_txq_flush function.
> > netdev-dpdk: Add netdev_dpdk_txq_flush function.
> > netdev-dpdk: Add netdev_dpdk_vhost_txq_flush function.
> > netdev-dpdk: Add intermediate queue support.
> > netdev-dpdk: Enable intermediate queue for             vHost User port.
> > dpif-netdev: Flush the packets in intermediate queue.
>
> I think that we still not reached agreement about the level of
> implementation (netdev-dpdk or dpif-netdev). Just few people participate
> in discussion which is not very productive. I suggest not to target output
> batching for 2.8 release because of this and also lack of testing and
> review.
> As I understand, we have only 3 days merge window for the new features and
> I expect that we can't finish discussion, review and testing in time.

My own opinion on this, this feature has been kicking around for quite a while,  the original patch from Bhanu went out back in December. https://mail.openvswitch.org/pipermail/ovs-dev/2016-December/326348.html

There's a level of due diligence carried out in terms of reviewing and testing from a range of people in the community for the netdev approach and a number of users are already using this without issue. As such I would like this approach to be included in the 2.8 release.

I think the dpif layer is more generic and in the long run more maintainable but it was quite late in being flagged as an alternate approach and is not as mature in terms of testing/reviews. As such I don't think it should block the netdev approach until it has reached the same level of feedback and testing from the community. The dpif approach could target the 2.9 release after it has received more feedback and replace the netdev approach when the pros and cons of both have been clearly demonstrated.

Ian