[ovs-dev] DPDK Merge Repo

Aaron Conole aconole at redhat.com
Wed Aug 2 15:23:06 UTC 2017

Ilya Maximets <i.maximets at samsung.com> writes:

> Hi Darrell and Ben.
>
>> Hi All
>>
>> As mentioned before, I am using a repo for DPDK patch merging.
>> The repo is here:
>> https://github.com/darball/ovs/
>>
>> There are still some outstanding patches from Bhanu that have not
>> completed review yet:
>>
>> util: Add PADDED_MEMBERS_CACHELINE_MARKER macro to mark cachelines.- Bhanu
>> packets: Reorganize the pkt_metadata structure. - Bhanu
>>
>> and a series we would like to get into 2.8
>>
>> netdev-dpdk: Use intermediate queue during packet transmission.
>> Bhanu Jun 29/V3
>> netdev: Add netdev_txq_flush function.
>> netdev-dpdk: Add netdev_dpdk_txq_flush function.
>> netdev-dpdk: Add netdev_dpdk_vhost_txq_flush function.
>> netdev-dpdk: Add intermediate queue support.
>> netdev-dpdk: Enable intermediate queue for             vHost User port.
>> dpif-netdev: Flush the packets in intermediate queue.
>
> I think that we still not reached agreement about the level of implementation
> (netdev-dpdk or dpif-netdev). Just few people participate in discussion which
> is not very productive. I suggest not to target output batching for 2.8 release
> because of this and also lack of testing and review.
> As I understand, we have only 3 days merge window for the new features
> and I expect that we can't finish discussion, review and testing in time.
>
>> Please let me know if something else is approved but missed ?
>> Anything else ?
>>
>> Thanks Darrell
>

> In addition I have a few general thoughts about merging via pull requests:
>
> 1. There is a requirement described in contribution guide that submitter
>    must sign-off the patch. But merges on github doesn't work this way.
>    So, the patches should be cherry-picked with footer modifications by
>    submitter or contribution guide should be fixed to reflect pull
>    request workflow. I understand that authorship of the merge commit can
>    replace the sign-off somehow, but it's not so easy sometimes to find
>    the corresponding merge commit for particular change. And this still
>    doesn't mean that submitter agree with Developer's Certificate of Origin.

> 2. I'm a fan of plain git history. Could we use 'Rebase and merge' policy
>    without merge commits ?
>    https://github.com/blog/2243-rebase-and-merge-pull-requests

I would assume that the pull requests for this would be done similar to
how git pull requests are done in linux kernel.  IE: Darrell will run
something like:

  $ git request-pull commit-sha https://github.com/darball/ovs/

and send the resulting email to ovs-dev and someone (such as Ben,
Justin, or Joe) will do a fetch + whatever merge strategy is specified.

Is this not the way it was intended?